When you are travelling this season, staying on a low FODMAP regimen can be as much of an adventure as your vacation. Convenience stores, rest stops, and gas stations offer mostly packaged foods, and many contain ingredients that may not make the cut on your low FODMAP regimen. However, there are some snacks you can bring along, and some you can find on your way to your destination, that can help feed you the energy you need on the road. Shop our on the go snacks for delicious, healthy, convenient snacks.
Here are the top ten low FODMAP travel snacks:
- Clementines: With an easy peel and naturally sweet flavor, clementines are a delicious portable snack option for travel. And at no FODMAPs detected according to Monash University, you can consume liberally. At 35 calories and 1.3 grams fiber each, this cute fruit is a healthy addition to your snack bag this travel season.
Granola: This fiber-rich snack is non-perishable and easily portable. Some granolas may contain high fructose ingredients such as honey or dried fruits, but there is a low FODMAP granola option that is low FODMAP safe. At around 2 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein per 200-calorie serving, this snack is a satisfying choice to help you sustain energy on your travels.
- Baby carrots: According to Monash University, there are no FODMAPs detected in carrots. Therefore, consume baby carrots liberally to satisfy your crunchy craving. At 25 calories and 1.4 grams of fiber per 10 carrots, this refreshing snack is a light and healthy addition to your travel snack pack.
- Popcorn: You can enjoy up to 7 cups of this crunchy, fiber-rich snack and still stay low FODMAP safe. Just eat plain or lightly salted, with no added flavors or colors. This snack is a great portable snack and super healthy at around 50 calories, 1 gram of protein, and 1 gram of fiber per cup.
- Peanuts: This salty snack is easy to find in any convenience store and is a safe low FODMAP serving at 32 nuts. This serving will pack in about 130 calories, 1.5 grams of fiber, and about 5 grams of protein. It can be eaten alone or with a tablespoon of raisins for a low FODMAP trail mix snack.
- Pumpkin seeds: This crunchy snack can be a healthy substitute for chips and can be found at just about any convenient store along the road. A safe low FODMAP serving of this snack is about 2 tablespoons, which is equal to about 112 calories, 1 gram of fiber, and 6 grams of protein.
- Hard-boiled eggs: A cooler may be necessary if bringing these snacks on your own, but more and more convenient stores are starting to carry hard-boiled eggs pre-cooked and peeled in the refrigerated section or as part of “protein boxes” for snack time. At about 7 grams per egg, and at 2 eggs per safe low FODMAP serving, this is a great choice for a protein-rich snack or as part of a quick meal option.
- Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese sticks/slices: This protein-rich snack will need an ice pack and insulated lunch bag or cooler for storage. However, you may also be able to find cheese sticks at a convenience store or gas station market in the refrigerated section. At about 7 or 8 grams of protein per ounce, this snack is a great energy booster between meals. Up to 2 ounces, or 2 sticks/slices of these cheeses are low FODMAP safe according to Monash University.
- Grapes: At about 100 calories per cup, equal to about 32 grapes, this fruit is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth while still consuming some healthy fiber. Grapes are becoming more common in travel packs at convenience stores, already washed and ready to eat. They can be eaten alone to satisfy a sweet tooth at any serving since Monash University detected no FODMAPs in this fruit.
- Low FODMAP friendly protein bar like Casa de Sante bars: These vegan and low FODMAP certified protein & prebiotic bars come in a delicious chocolate flavor. They avoid high FODMAP ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, honey, wheat, milk and agave syrup. Instead, they use safe, low FODMAP ingredients. They are:
- Vegan, gluten & dairy free, keto & paleo friendly
- 12g protein, 14g soluble fiber & resistant starch, 6g net carbs
- No artificial flavors, additives or preservatives
- Healthy fats: organic almond butter, organic cocoa butter, organic coconut oil
- Super greens blend - spirulina, green tea and chlorella
- Non GMO, no sugar alcohol
- Complete protein - full amino acid profile
Written by Staci Gulbin, MS, RD a Board-certified dietitian.