Everything You Need to Know About Digestive Collagen Powder
Collagen is a popular and widely consumed supplement by an increasing number of people due to the numerous potential benefits it offers. It is produced naturally in the body, and performs several essential functions in the body. Apart from being present in our bones, skin, joints, and ligaments, it is also in our gut.
Digestive collagen powder supplements, specifically, are often used to aid in different biological processes such as supporting intestinal tract health. These include IBS, leaky gut, and other GI problems.
In this blog, we explore more about digestive collagen powder and its benefits for gut health in particular.
What is Digestive Collagen?
Made with a unique formulation, digestive collagen powder is a popular collagen product. It is available either as a tub or convenient sachets to let you enjoy it on the go and help you improve your digestion.
It primarily contains L-glutamine, the most abundant amino acid present in the body, and is also an essential nutrient in a healthy intestinal lining. Among the other ingredients that are present in digestive collagen formulation include-
- Protease- a key enzyme that is involved in protein digestion.
- Lactobacillus Plantarum- has antioxidant properties and protects the intestinal lining.
- Quercetin- supports gut integrity and works in complete synergy with vitamin C for better bioavailability.
- Liquorice- a traditional herb used to enhance digestion.
- Artichoke- acts as a prebiotic to feed friendly gut microflora.
- Vitamin B6- a vital B group vitamin that supports the normal functioning of digestive enzymes and aids glutamine metabolism.
Benefits of Digestive Collagen Powder
Digestive collagen powder from a well-known brand such as Casa De Sante is designed explicitly for gentle digestive support. Apart from healing the gut, it also improves digestion, supports normal cognitive & immune system function, reduces bowel inflammation & unidentified food sensitivities, and promotes metabolism.
Containing various herbs, collagen peptides, and specially formulated co-active nutrients, the ingredients of digestive collagen powder works in synergy to help improve your digestion and support your gut health.
Among the other key benefits of digestive collagen powder include-
- Balanced and therapeutic levels of nutrients and co-factors
- Collagen powder is full of a few precious amino acids such as glycine and arginine combined with methionine to make creatine, which muscles use for energy.
- Hydroxyproline, present in collagen powder combined with glycine and arginine, creates collagen in your body and helps keep your skin youthful and your joints strong.
- Directive collagen powder doesn't break down or lose its benefits when heated, so it is perfect for cooking and baking.
- Make use of grass-fed beef collagen from farms with superior animal welfare and regulate the secretion of gastric juices in the body by ensuring enough acid for proper digestion.
- Collagen protein is also known to prevent an excess of gastric juices, leading to issues such as stomach ulcers, heartburn, and other similar digestive problems.
- Use targeted probiotics and compounds to soothe and restore microflora. Collagen peptides present in collagen are an easily digestible, bioavailable form of protein. They are helpful for people with gut troubles. This is because an unhealthy gut often struggles to absorb nutrients from food sources (especially proteins).
- It is designed specifically for bowel inflammation and general gut health; the digestive collagen powder blend allows you to meet all your supplemental nutrition needs.
Can Our Body Absorb Collagen Powder?
Our body doesn’t absorb collagen right into the skin or joints. On the contrary, the body breaks it down into amino acids that help build tissue.
Talking about how much collagen should you take per day, there aren't any official guidelines, so the amount of collagen you should take depends on which form you’re taking and why you’re taking it.
If you're suffering from various digestive or gut issues, then the best time to take collagen is in the morning on an empty stomach or with your meals. To have a restful sleep, it is recommended to take collagen before bed for better sleep quality.
Which Collagen is the Best For Gut Health?
Digestive collagen protein is one of the best collagen options for gut health. It is available in the form of many different products such as powders and protein mixes. However, before you start making a choice, it is recommended to ask yourself the below questions-
a. Does the collagen powder you choose come from pasture-raised animals?
b. Does the powder have any kind of fillers? To be sure, look at the label to check that it doesn’t include any unnecessary additives.
c. Buy products made from grass-fed animals as they are free from any kind of contamination and are generally suitable for gut health.
Should I Take Collagen every day?
Here is how you can include collagen powder in your diet-
- Take one serving of digestive collagen powder once or twice a day, either between meals or as directed by your medical professional.
- The powder mixes perfectly with both cold and room-temperature liquids. Alternatively, you can try adding it to any of your favourite smoothie bowls along with soaked oats and berries.
- You can also mix the collagen powder with the yoghurt of your choice or mix it with a glass of water or juice.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Taking Collagen?
There are no side effects of taking collagen as such, but there are few things that you need to take care of while taking it. Among these include-
- It may not be suitable during pregnancy, so check with your healthcare professional before adding it to your diet.
- Since it is ultimately a food supplement, it should not be used as a substitute for a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
Introducing a good digestive collagen powder supplement into our daily routine allows you to give our bodies easy access to the naturally decreasing supply of essential amino acids required to build, repair and restore various of our bodies as we age, including our gut.
If you want to get the real benefits of digestive collagen powder, Casa De Sante is the best option to choose. Apart from being made from grass-fed and pasture-raised bovine collagen type I & III, the product uses a digestive enzyme blend that includes cellulase, lactase, amylase, lipase, protease, and over 18 amino acids.
Medically Reviewed by Onikepe Adegbola, MD PhD.